42 Books to Strengthen the Inner Man during COVID-19 Quarantine
COVID-19 has given us an unprecedented opportunity to feed our souls
Across the world, the response to the spread of COVID-19 has been staggering and unprecedented. First, we saw many nations cancelling all mass gatherings; then we saw the implementation of “social” distancing, and finally many nations shut down entire communities (except for those who supply essential items). Many churches have ended up resorting to online streaming, in the interest of protecting their congregation and community at large.
In the midst of all this, every family is faced with the conundrum of what to do with all the extra time in the home. Time—the majority of which used to be spent at work or at school. Time—which used to be spent hanging out with friends at the mall or catching the latest movie. Time—which used to be spent with like-minded individuals in the faith journey, encouraging each other to impact the world.
Extra time in the home: What will you choose?
With all this extra time, a buffet of things have exploded to grab our attention; numerous websites have offered their videos, e-books, online courses and other attractions for free, to help ease the burden of too much time stuck in the home. Which next entertainment shall we reach for? The possibilities are endless!
But what if we can use this time for much-needed strengthening of our spirits? Aren’t the widespread confusion and rampant fear that we feel seeping into our bones a sign that we need a fresh word from God?
With this in mind, we would like to suggest some resources that we would personally recommend to help infuse a spirit of courage and boldness into our hearts as believers. These books can also enrich our relationships, both with God and man!
Here are our top 3 picks for this week, with our full list of 42 books below. Check back here periodically as we highlight other books from this list of 42.
Small-town pastor David Wilkerson’s life changes when he hears of a murder trial for seven young gang members in 1950’s New York City. Although most people believed there was no hope for such broken inner-city kids, Wilkerson senses an unmistakable call from God, to go and start ministering to these young. In this book we follow his harrowing and life-transforming experience as he ministers to the street gangs of Brooklyn, calling them away from a life of crime and drugs and into a vibrant relationship with Jesus. We also read of several young lives that are completely changed through the grace of Jesus.
Master storyteller C.S. Lewis gives us a unique glimpse into the temptations believers face throughout this book. He writes from the perspective of a mentor demon writing to his protégé and nephew, who is named Wormwood. Wormwood’s job is to lure a man labeled “the patient” away from “the Enemy” (referring to God) and to “Our Father Below” (or Satan). Lewis’ insightful glimpse of human nature is on display through his biting satire, and many believers through the decades have been encouraged to not give in to temptation through this book.
Have you ever wondered what it is like to walk in the miraculous? In this definitive guide, Bill Johnson shares Biblical principles for moving in the promises of God, rediscovering our true identity, and living in God’s supernatural power. This book may be used for individual study or for discussion with a small group, both of which may help propel you into a life of walking in Spirit-filled signs and wonders.
Books can feed our souls
Shall we make use of this quarantine period to feed our spirits with God’s truths, as expounded by these champions in the faith?
What book have you read lately that really inspired you? Please let us know by sending us a message!
Our Top 42 Picks for Quarantine
- The Cross and the Switchblade by David Wilkerson (this week’s pick!)
- Carry a Big Stick by George Grant
- Trial and Triumph by Richard Hannula
- The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom
- Just As I Am by Billy Graham
- God’s Smuggler by Brother Andrew
- Tortured for Christ by Richard Wurmbrand s
- The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis (this week’s pick!)
- End Times Simplified by David Sliker
- More Than a Carpenter by Josh McDowell
- God is Good by Bill Johnson
- Desiring God by John Piper
- A Tale of Three Kings by Gene Edwards
- Heaven by Randy Alcorn
Kingdom Culture Books
- When Heaven Invades Earth by Bill Johnson (this week’s pick!)
- Anointed for Business by Ed Silvoso
- Called to Create by Jordan Raynor
- The Book that Transforms the World by Loren Cunningham
- Master of One by Jordan Raynor
- The Culture of the Kingdom by Billy Humphrey
- Spirit of Adoption by Randy Bohlender
- Keep Your Love On by Danny Silk
- Love After Marriage by Barry and Lori Byrne
- You and Me Forever by Francis Chan
- Loving Your Kids on Purpose by Danny Silk
- The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman
- Passion and Purity by Elizabeth Elliot
- The Connected Child by Dr. Karyn Purvis
- Beloved Disciple by Beth Moore
- Growing in Prayer by Mike Bickle
- The Purpose-Driven Life by Rick Warren
- My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers
- Morning and Evening by Charles Spurgeon
- The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence
- Jesus Calling by Sarah Young
- The Pilgrim’s Progress by John Bunyan
- Divine Romance by Gene Edwards
- Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
- Hinds’ Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard
- Mark of the Lion Series by Francine Rivers
- Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
- The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien